[Asterisk-Users] 7960 "multi-line" configuration

Charlie Watts cwatts at mercurypay.com
Tue May 3 06:57:56 MST 2005

Eric Wieling aka ManxPower wrote:
> Correct.  Asterisk does not support multiple logins from the same SIP
> username.  HOWEVER, if you configure the same SIP username/secret on
> all 6 lines of a Cisco (or Polycom) the PHONE will NOT register using
> the same username/secret more than once.  It will see that more than
> one line is using the same username/secret and only register once.
> This is specific to the phone in question.

Polycoms don't seem to handle this very well. (IP 500, IP 600).
First, you can't disable call waiting, so each line has two call appearances.

If I configure line 1 and line 2 with the same SIP username:
I can dial out from call appearance 1 and call appearance 2 on line 1,
And at the same time:
I can dial out from call appearance 1 and call appearance 2 on line 2.
That's all well and good.

But when both call appearances on line 1 are busy the phone rejects new incoming calls - it doesn't roll down to line 2.

Which means this isn't a useful way to use a Polycom as a receptionist phone.