[Asterisk-Users] A good SIP receptionist phone

Michael Welter mike at introspect.com
Mon May 2 07:40:31 MST 2005

Chris Mason (Lists) wrote:
> The user name is the extension and the password is always the same. Not hard
> to configure.

With the SNOM 220, you have five buttons/lamps that can be used as
"line" appearances--these buttons can each register to a different SIP URL.

Each sidecar has 20 buttons/lamps, and you may have up to three
sidecars.  Using the "hint" priority in Asterisk, the buttons serve as
extension busy lamps.  You can also use these buttons to transfer calls.

I have an executive suites customer where each tenant is a separate
business.  For an incoming call, the attendant needs to know which DID
number is being called so she can answer with the proper greeting.

I would like the sidecar buttons to be able to register to a SIP URL, so
an incoming call would blink the tenants button, but that is not
possible--I can only use the five buttons on the phone for that purpose,
and there are more than five tenants.

A suggestion was to alter the Called ID Name to the DID number.  This
would work for the attendant, but the tenant would like to see the
original Caller ID Name.

I would rather not have to put a PC at the attendants position, but that
is the way this is shaping up.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,