[Asterisk-Users] Online forums vs email list...

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Thu Mar 31 14:37:56 MST 2005

On March 31, 2005 01:07 pm, Chuck Bunn wrote:
> I am curious just what the advantages of an email forum over an online
> one. Thanks for the search tip, but it is still an annoying way to

This has been hashed over time and time again.

In a nutshell:
- offline access
- threaded access
- ease of searching (granted this list doesn't fall into that category)
- bandwidth considerations
- ease of navigation (see threaded and searching points above)
- readability (no ads, banners, panels, etc.)
- accessibility (no javascript, ads, popups, cutesy icons, etc.)
- no single point of failure (voip-info.org, anyone?)

oh and did I mention no cutesy colours, themes, icons, avatars, ads,
animations, sounds, popups, etc. etc. etc.?

If you need more, check the archives.  Feel free to set one up but every one
that has in the past has killed it off due to lack of use.  All the "experts"
hang out on the mailing lists for the reasons mentioned above.

-A.