[Asterisk-Users] Are there online forums instead of this email

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Thu Mar 31 13:15:54 MST 2005

--On Thursday, March 31, 2005 1:19 PM -0500 bass at silkroad.com wrote:

> Any decent on-line forum would be much better than these digium email
> lists.  The lists are  poorly formatted

In what way are they poorly formatted? If you want all the text in 24 point
red, then set your email client to do that.

> there is no easy way to post code

You can either post it inline or, if a list allows it, as an attachment.
(It's a mailman setting.)

> you cannot neatly quote anyone

That's your mail client's fault.

> the search function in the archive is elementary at best

Mailman limitation. But there are search add-ons for that, or you can just
google with a site qualifier. Why re-invent the wheel?

> there is no possibility for active users to moderate their area of
> interest

The -users list is admittedly very high traffic and could benefit from
being broken into other lists based on major categories of discussion. We
already have several auxiliary lists. What others would be useful?

> there is no private messaging

It's called "email".

I'm not opposed to forums, but your arguments don't sway me. (I'd actually
prefer a newsgroup to either a mailing list or forum, because I don't need
to download the message bodies for stuff I'm not interested in. But I can't
seem to post from the gmane gateway.)