[Asterisk-Users] SuperMicro X5DE8-GG Motherboard Goes Kaput after Installing TE410P Card - Yikes!

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Thu Mar 31 08:39:03 MST 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-31 at 00:32 -0500, Tim Bass wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> This is my first post.  Sorry to post under such sad circumstances.  Here is
> the situation:
>
> We installed a TE410P (today) in a SuperMicro 1U server today (Motherboard
> X5DE8-GG), which was running great until installing this card.   After
> installing the card, the motherboard will not boot (no beeps or indicators)
> and there is no video output.  The fans sign and some of the motherboard
> lights blink, but like a city with no nightlife, the board is, for all
> practical purposes, dead.    We took the TE410P out and have tried just
> about very thing under the sun, including clearing the CMOS and, sad to say,
> the motherboard is still dead with no video out and no beeps.

I have had something similar happen with a different card. Does the PSU
fan pulse when you attempt to boot? If it is pulsing, you have a short.
I have seen standoffs under a motherboard finally touch something that
wasn't intended to and the system won't boot.

The super micro 1u cases are not very stiff. It is an interesting
engineering problem to make something that is hollow stiff with out
being able to cross brace.

So my suggestion is to pull the board out and maybe hook up to a
different PSU with no chance of it shorting out to verify it is ok.