[Asterisk-Users] SuperMicro X5DE8-GG Motherboard Goes Kaput after Installing TE410P Card - Yikes!

Tim Bass bass at silkroad.com
Wed Mar 30 22:32:41 MST 2005

Hello All,

This is my first post.  Sorry to post under such sad circumstances.  Here is
the situation:

We installed a TE410P (today) in a SuperMicro 1U server today (Motherboard
X5DE8-GG), which was running great until installing this card.   After
installing the card, the motherboard will not boot (no beeps or indicators)
and there is no video output.  The fans sign and some of the motherboard
lights blink, but like a city with no nightlife, the board is, for all
practical purposes, dead.    We took the TE410P out and have tried just
about very thing under the sun, including clearing the CMOS and, sad to say,
the motherboard is still dead with no video out and no beeps.

This X5DE8-GG  board is a pretty expensive, well made server, and I have
many years experience of building Linux boxes (since 1992, so I am no novice
at building systems) and this is the first time anything like this has
happened.   I have never installed a card and then had the entire server die
a sudden death!  Then again, this is my first SuperMicro "store premade"
server, as I usually hand select the board and build from the chassis up.

I searched with Google and noticed that other people have installed Digium
cards and run into similar problems.   Has the Digium card destroyed this
expensive board?   Is this server recoverable, or it is board dead thanks to
some incompatibility with the TE410P?

Thank you, in advance, for your experience and help and sorry to have an
initial post with such bad news......

Yours sincerely,

Tim