[Asterisk-Users] Australia and SetCallerID

Martijn van Oosterhout martijn at ecomtel.com.au
Thu Mar 31 03:03:52 MST 2005

On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 01:58:21PM +1130, Craig wrote:
> >From my investigations, I can't find any carrier in Au that does allow
> it to be set outside the allocated range, can't even get one to set it
> to our 1300 number, have been told the ACA doesn't permit it in Au, but
> not certain on that.

Correct. It's bordering on illegal to lie about your callerID (not
quite though, because it's not legislated). Certainly you're not going
to be able to do it on any basic commercial service. Carrier
interconnects can do it obviously.

The reason is related to emergency services (amongst other things), a
1300 number has no physical location. Origination numbers can be
geographic or mobile but must be associated with a specific location or
device. Technically, if you have a 100 number range that you split over
multiple locations, you're required to indicate which numbers are
where. Doesn't happen often though.

It even goes so far as if you're transiting a call you must preserve
the originating number. This means if you setup a calling card platform
as a carrier you may have a few extra requirements.

> My understanding many pri in the US can be set to almost any number.

So I've heard, can't quite understand the benefits, but this is the way
things are.
--
Martijn van Oosterhout
Ecomtel Pty Ltd