[Asterisk-Users] Looking for SS7 design input

Brian Capouch brianc at palaver.net
Wed Mar 30 23:57:45 MST 2005

Race Vanderdecken wrote:

> Thank God there were no lawyers available when the when the wheel was
> invented. Between the Royalties and the Law suits we would all still be
> walking or riding horses.

I don't blame the lawyers for the patent feeding frenzy any more than I
would blame my dog for eating the steak I forget and leave out on the table.

The culprits here can be found at the US Patent Office, who began to
issue patents for software, before there was any good consensus about
just what aspects of software can be patented.  And certainly without
most of the examiners understanding just what it was that they were
granting patents on.

Most of those patents come perilously close to just being concepts or
ideas, in my definitely law-impaired mind (IANAL).

Someday in business textbooks they'll be written up as the Great Fools
of the Information Age.

B.