[Asterisk-Users] getting boot server working for PolyCom IP500

Sean Kennedy skennedy at tpno-co.org
Wed Mar 30 11:04:46 MST 2005

Garrett Nelson wrote:

>Ok, so I got a FTP server set up and dumped the latest firmware in there. I
>successfully got the phone to connect to the FTP server and upgrade it's
>software. However, I now want to place a customized sip.conf file on the FTP
>server so the phone configures itself for Asterisk.
>
>>From http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Polycom+Phones :
>
>To set these phones up with Asterisk you need to put configuration files
>based on the phone's MAC address on an FTP server that the phone downloads
>from. The phone also downloads it's firmware from that same location. The
>phones can also be manually configured without a boot server but not all
>features are accessible.
>
>So what does that mean exactly? Do I make a folder in the home directory of
>the FTP server that is named the MAC address of the phone? And then just
>stick the SIP.conf file in there?
>
>I'm slowly figuring this stuff out, thanks for the help everyone.
>
>I still can't get into the web interface on the phone, I've pretty much
>given up on that.
>

>-Garrett

No, what you do is put a file named <MAC ADDRESS>.cfg in the ftp
directory, and that file will point to the rest of the config files.
For example, mine looks something like this:

<!-- ster SIP Configuration File-->
<!-- Edit and rename this file to <Ethernet-address>.cfg for each phone.-->
<!-- $Revision: 1.10 $ $Date: Jan 29 2003 14:19:22 $ -->
<APPLICATION APP_FILE_PATH="sip.ld"
CONFIG_FILES="phone101.cfg,sip-modesto.cfg,ipmid.cfg" MISC_FILES=""
LOG_FILE_DIRECTORY="log/" >

sip-modesto.sip is the file configuration file in my case, phone101.cfg
holds the phone's login settings and ipmid.cfg is the catch all
"EVERYTHING GOES HERE" configuration file that covers all phones.

So each phone should have it's own *.cfg file and phonex.cfg file, but
everything else is shared.

Sean