[Asterisk-Users] getting boot server working for PolyCom IP500

Garrett Nelson garrett at townandcountrycomputers.com
Wed Mar 30 10:55:21 MST 2005

Ok, so I got a FTP server set up and dumped the latest firmware in there. I
successfully got the phone to connect to the FTP server and upgrade it's
software. However, I now want to place a customized sip.conf file on the FTP
server so the phone configures itself for Asterisk.

>From http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Polycom+Phones :

To set these phones up with Asterisk you need to put configuration files
based on the phone's MAC address on an FTP server that the phone downloads
from. The phone also downloads it's firmware from that same location. The
phones can also be manually configured without a boot server but not all
features are accessible.

So what does that mean exactly? Do I make a folder in the home directory of
the FTP server that is named the MAC address of the phone? And then just
stick the SIP.conf file in there?

I'm slowly figuring this stuff out, thanks for the help everyone.

I still can't get into the web interface on the phone, I've pretty much
given up on that.

-Garrett