[Asterisk-Users] help w/ basics

Jerry jjones at quiddesign.com
Tue Mar 29 17:32:32 MST 2005

On Mar 29, 2005, at 5:34 PM, Rod Bacon wrote:

> Unfortunately, the polycom phone was a bad choice from a beginner's
> perspective, as it loads it's firmware/config from a boot server every
> time it's powered up, and won't work without it.
>
> Get a softphone (firefly, xten) running on a PC first (to ensure that
> your asterisk is OK).
>
> Take your Polycom back to the shop, and get a cheap-ass Grandstream
> Budgetone.

Uhhh - which Polycoms are you talking about? All the ones I have work
great without a boot server. Just manually enter network info and let
it boot. then point your web browser at it and set your config info.
All info is saved in internal memory and upon reboot will behave as
before.

A boot server is great if you have many telephones to support, but for
just a few don't worry about one. Except you will need to have either
an FTP or tftp available to upgrade the firmware or the bootrom code.

Yes a Grandstream is an OK beginners phone. In fact it is the one I
started expeimenting with. However since I was investigating using for
enterprise class applications I soon found it was not a good fit.

Enjoy your Polycom!!!