[Asterisk-Users] Re: Newbie question: How do I get Analog Phone to actuall ring

hugolivude hugolivude at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 14:15:32 MST 2005

OK, I'm only one step up from newbie, but I can try to help.

I asssume you have a digium card.  What kind do you have?  You will
need an FXS module if you are using an analogue (Plain Old Telephone -
POTS) phone.  Do you wish to handle calls from the Public Switched
Telephone Network (PSTN)?  You'll need an FXO module on your card too.
 Plug your phone line into the FXO, the extension into the FXS

John Todd has posted some great examples on  www.loligo.com, but
assuming you have a digium card w/ an FXO & FXS module, here's what
YOU will need to do:

In zap.conf you'll need something like:

[channels]
;FXO card
language=en
context=from-FXO
signalling=fxs_ks
usecallerid=yes
echocancel=yes
echocancelwhenbridged=yes
channel => 4

;FXS card
language=en
context=from_FXS
signalling=fxo_ks
channel=>1
;******************END*******************

extensions.conf is next.   Note that context=from-FXO for the FXO
module, so in extensions.conf you'll need something like this (most of
the comments are from John Todd's examples):

[from-FXO]
; This context deals with calls coming in from
;  the Zap card.  Since the Zap card doesn't "know" what number
;  is attached to it, we use the "s" extension to handle all inbound
;  calls.  Caller ID tells us who is calling, but Asterisk uses
;  the concept of what number was _called_ as the primary matching
;  criteria in the dialplan.  Since all we know is that there is
;  a call coming in on the analog line, we have to just use the
;  "default" value of "s" as our matching criteria.  (Note: Asterisk
;  can in fact use the Caller ID as a match method, but we won't
;  cover that in this example.  See the "ex-girlfriend" portion
;  of the Asterisk manual.)

;Make channel one (1) on the ZAP card ring for 30 seconds
exten => s,2,Dial(ZAP/1,30)

;No one answered
exten => s,3,Voicemail2(u2000)
exten => s,4,Hangup

;Problem encountered trying to get ZAP channel to ring
exten => s,103,Voicemail2(b2000)
exten => s,104,Hangup
;
;
; Always put these two extensions in any "main" context that handles
;  call processing, for good form and graceful hangups.
;
exten => i,1,Hangup
exten => h,1,Hangup

Hope that helps..