[Asterisk-Users] Rhino Channel Bank or ADIT 600

C F shmaltz at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 14:07:33 MST 2005

> Couple observations.
>
> Adit with CMG uses MGCP vs SIP. Not sure how extensive the * support is
> for this. I believe Carrier Access is working on a SIP release but not
> sure how complete it will be. CMG/CMG2 are nice cards. Also have a nice
> license builtin for G729. If you use though you will need a matching
> one for the * server. However there is also a call limit of 12, I
> think, for the CMG and 24 for the CMG2 cards. Depending on application
> you could easily exceed this. So take the 8 T1 capacity with a grain of
> salt, you will not be able to have that may calls up at a time.

I researched this before I posted, I was on the phone with Carrier
Access Tech Support for a good hour about the limitations and
capabilities of the CMG cards, the CMG02 will take up to 48
simultaneous calls, unless G729 is used (in which case you are right
and only 24 can be used), since this is all on LAN there is no need
for G729. When I asked them about SIP support, they told me that no
plans as far as he knows for SIP support, but he told me don't quote
me on it (I guess if I add this I'm allowed to quote him), when I
asked him about configuring it with Asterisk he told me that he had
many happy customers that configured it with asterisk, although he
doesn't know asterisk, but that much he knows that ppl have gotten it
to work with asterisk, and they were happy.

> Also one of my favorite applications is connecting an Adit directly via
> T1 to a Digium card. Then using another T1 port on the Digium card to
> connect to PRi from PSTN. This is called a traditional TDM switch. No
> IP in the patch, no headaches. Great for such things as FAX and ALARM
> circuits which are very problematic with IP in the path.

I agree on this one, but still doesn't justify using all TDM, you
could take just one Adit 600 and split half FXO, and the other half
FXS, just for such applications (the FXO for backup and 911).

> It is not always about up front costs but about capabilities and
> support costs down the line.

Right here again, thats why we are having this post.