[Asterisk-Users] High Availability on Asterisk

Andres andres at telesip.net
Sun Mar 27 23:37:56 MST 2005

Matthew Boehm wrote:

>>Hi,
>>
>>I would like to know if Asterisk (installed on Linux or Free BSD) have any
>>possibility of high availability (such as, if one box down, the other one
>>get all configuration)?
>>

>    F5 networks currently makes a layer-7 SIP aware load balancer. I was on
>a call with them on Friday and their lowest end model was $21,000 for a
>500Mbit throughput switch.
>
>    Or, you can get a 3rd box and put SER on it to load balance/failover any
>number of asterisk boxes. Cheap and easy. Problem is, what happens when that
>SER box gets overloaded? If it does, then you are pushing 10,000 calls per
>second. And if you are pushing 10,000 calls per second then you can afford
>the $21K switch above.
>
>-Matthew

To put things in perspective, a top of the line multiprocessing DMS
Switch from Nortel Networks,  costs millions of dollars.  Call
Processing Capacities of TDM switches are rated in BHCAs (busy hour call
attempts).  A TDM switch like this can do 7 million BHCAs, which
translated into seconds is less that 2,000 calls per second.   10,000
calls per second is one hell of a lot of calls.  I am sure that not even
Vonage with its half a million subs is doing 10,000 calls per second on
their entire network.  If they did then they would be processing 36
million calls an hour.

--
Andres