[Asterisk-Users] High Availability on Asterisk

Matthew Boehm mboehm at cytelcom.com
Sun Mar 27 22:53:57 MST 2005

> Hi,
>
> I would like to know if Asterisk (installed on Linux or Free BSD) have any
> possibility of high availability (such as, if one box down, the other one
> get all configuration)?

    F5 networks currently makes a layer-7 SIP aware load balancer. I was on
a call with them on Friday and their lowest end model was $21,000 for a
500Mbit throughput switch.

    Or, you can get a 3rd box and put SER on it to load balance/failover any
number of asterisk boxes. Cheap and easy. Problem is, what happens when that
SER box gets overloaded? If it does, then you are pushing 10,000 calls per
second. And if you are pushing 10,000 calls per second then you can afford
the $21K switch above.

-Matthew