[Asterisk-Users] Quicknet phonejack connect to telephone line?

Damon Estep damon at suburbanbroadband.net
Sun Mar 27 19:19:25 MST 2005

> Sounds like a stupid question especially since the sticker on
> the hardware says this will probably break the hardware if you do it.
> However, I just moved to a new house and the telephone wiring
> installed is not connected to the phone company ( the wire is
> just sticking out of the side of the house waiting to be
> connected to the phone company for service, which will NEVER
> happen since I got voip working.)
>
> I just want to be able to plug my telephone set    somewhere away from
> the room where my computer is ( like in the livingroom where
> there is a phone jack on the wall). Maybe plug some other
> phones in the other rooms as an extension.
>
> Has anybody tried this? I hate to bust my phonejack card.
>

> Thanks for any help.

Maybe, maybe not. If you want a probability before taking the chance you
would have to check the cards REN (ringer equivalency number) drive
specification, the combined REN of all of your phones, plus the REN
factor for the total length (and type) of wire in your home.

If the combined REN of all devices you are trying to ring plus wire is
within the REN rating of the card it will work.

Check your wires for voltage with a digital multimeter before making any
connections. A line connected to CO battery will read 48VDC idle.