[Asterisk-Users] 2 companies - one asterisk

C F shmaltz at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 22:34:45 MST 2005

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 16:06:53 -0800, Noah Silverman <noah at allresearch.com> wrote:
> I have working with a polycom IP500 phone.
>
> I like the idea of having each line button on the phone as a separate
> sip device.  If I understand it right, each phone could have three
> extensions (one for each line.)  This would be great since I could then
> use the dialplan to forward calls to the desired extension.
>
> I envision something like this:
> Extenson 101  - Company-A
> Extension 102 - Company B
>
> I've adjusted my dialplan to prepend a "hint" to the callerid so that I
> know which menu choice the caller picked:
> exten => 1,2,SetCIDName(A-Sales:  ${CALLERIDNAME})
> exten => 1,3,Macro(stdexten,101,SIP/ext101)
> exten => 2,2,SetCIDName(A-Sup:  ${CALLERIDNAME})
> exten => 3,3,Macro(stdexten,101,SIP/ext101)
>
> Now if I could get multiple extensions on one phone (one for each
> button.) I would be all set.
>
> Thanks!!

The way you describe what you want, there is no need for multiple
buttons on your phones, just callerid is good enought since it gives
the best visual for the users. In fact long before callerid was
available to the comsumer markets, companies used this when ppl called
different DIDs or groups from menus.
All you would do would be to change the caller id and then have the
call go thru the regular dialplan of ringing your extensions. You only
need the new extensions if you want a different voicemail (which can
also be accomplished in other ways, but some times this is the
easiest).