[Asterisk-Users] WaitExten question

snacktime snacktime at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 14:40:57 MST 2005

I'm a bit confused about how WaitExten works.  I assumed that when it
returns 0, the next priority in the extension would be executed, but
that doesn't seem to be the case.   When I get to WaitExten and enter
extension 8, it plays the message, then Waits another 10 seconds and
times out.

[local]
exten => s,1,Wait,1                     ; Wait a second, just for fun
exten => s,2,Answer                     ; Answer the line
exten => s,3,DigitTimeout,5             ; Set Digit Timeout to 5 seconds
exten => s,4,BackGround(thank-you-for-calling)  ; Play a congratulatory message
exten => s,5,Playback(enter-ext-of-person)
exten => s,6,WaitExten(10)
exten => s,7,Playback(goodbye)
exten => s,9,Hangup

exten => 1000,1,Goto(local,s,1)
exten => 8,1,Playback(/tmp/test)          ; "test message"

exten => #,1,Playback(goodbye)              ; "Thanks for trying the demo"
exten => #,2,Hangup                     ; Hang them up.
exten => t,1,Goto(#,1)                  ; If they take too long, give up
exten => i,1,Playback(invalid)          ; "That's not valid, try again"

Also, I'm confused about this line in the wiki regarding WaitExten.
Specifically what is mean't by 'stack' and 'restarts the current
context'.  I'm guessing stack means the digits WaitExten has read from
the caller.  I would think that restarting the current context would
mean it jump back up to s,1, but it doesn't.  It just resumes at s,6.

Chris