[Asterisk-Users] hardware question

tmassey at obscorp.com tmassey at obscorp.com
Fri Mar 25 11:41:26 MST 2005

asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com wrote on 03/25/2005 09:14:42 AM:

> Hello
>
> I want to to know if the motherboards VIA are fully supporte by
asterisk.

This is a complex question.

The *software* is fully supported.  Depending on the CPU you use, you may
have to modify the makefiles (some VIA CPU's do not implement the CMOV
instruction), but with that change the software will work just fine.

However, Digium *hardware* is a different story.  The TDM and X100P boards
require that the card be placed on its own interrupt.  Interrupts are
scarce on a VIA platform:  there's no IO-APIC, and there's a lot of
integrated hardware.

It is doable, however.  I'm using a TDM board with a VIA EPIA-MII board
with zero problems.  No clicks, no static, nothing.  I'm even sharing an
interrupt (the TDM board and an unused (and AFAICT not-diableable) Cardbus
controller), and still no problems.

However, YMMV...

> And also, some of those motherboars say that with 1 pci slot , using a
> special riser card you can connect 2 pci cards. Will that work to have 2
pci
> cards (FXS or FXO ) on asterisk?

Again, a complex question.  The short answer is yes, the dual riser in and
of itself will not cause a problem.  The long answer is that it is highly
unlikely that you'll find an interrupt for it.  I have the dual riser and
the second port wants to use an interrupt that already has a couple of
devices on it, including the Ethernet interface.  So, that's probably not
possible on my system.

The really annoying part is that my system has *SIX* unused interrupts:
3,4,6,10,11 and 13.  Now I know that two of those are traditionally used
by legacy devices (math coprocessor and floppy controller), but what about
3,4,10 and 11?!?  I can find no way to get the computer to use those
IRQ's.  Everything's onboard, so changing PCI slots is not possible.  It's
frustrating.  15 interrupts is not exactly a lot, but when you ignore
nearly half of them, it's real hard to use your motherboard...

Tim Massey