[Asterisk-Users] Re: IP-500 config

Noah Miller noah at rosecompanies.com
Thu Mar 24 08:57:59 MST 2005

Hi Noah -

> I got everything to load via ftp.  The phone appears to correctly boot
> from the config files.  I also put the latest firmware there and the
> phone sucessfully loaded it.
>
> For some reason, the phone and * don't see each other.  This is the
> part
>    that confuses me.  Any clues as to why the phone won't register?

It's not often I get to address someone with my own name.  Hi Noah, I'm
Noah.  I apologize if someone has already answered your question - I'm
writing this on a train with no connection.

There are a few things you need to do:

1. Set up a <macaddress>.cfg file for each phone that you want to
configure.
2. Set up a separate phone.cfg file on your FTP server for each of your
phones.
3. Set up the sip.cfg file (probably just one) on your FTP server
4. Add a configuration for each of your phones to /etc/asterisk/sip.conf
5. Add an extension to dial each one of your phones in
/etc/asterisk/extensions.conf

In detail:

1. On the the FTP server, your should have a file for each one of your
phones named <macaddress>.cfg.  You can copy from the default
000000000000.cfg file.  In that file, you should have a line that looks
like:

<APPLICATION APP_FILE_PATH="sip.ld" CONFIG_FILES="phone1.cfg, sip.cfg,
ipmid.cfg" MISC_FILES="" LOG_FILE_DIRECTORY=""/>

Adjust the phone1.cfg file to be something descriptive for each phone
that you want to configure.

2. In the phone1.cfg file you should have a line that looks like:

<reg reg.1.displayName="" reg.1.address="" reg.1.label=""
reg.1.type="private" reg.1.thirdPartyName="" reg.1.auth.userId=""
reg.1.auth.password="" reg.1.server.1.address="" .../>

The three things you NEED to change are:
reg.X.auth.userId     <-------- This should correspond to what you set
later in sip.conf
reg.X.auth.password      <---------   This should correspond to what
you set later in sip.conf
reg.X.server.1.address      <--------- This is the address of your
asterisk server - make sure it is reachable by your phones

3.  In the sip.cfg file, you should have a line that looks like this:

<server voIpProt.server.1.address="" voIpProt.server.1.port="" ... />

Change these two values to the address of your asterisk server, and the
sip port (5060 by default)

4.  In /etc/asterisk/sip.conf you'll need to add an entry for each
phone.  It should look something like this:

[device_name]       <---------  whatever you want, but needs to be the
same as auth.userId above
type=friend
secret=<password>     <-------- whatever you want, but the same as
auth.password above
callerid=<whatever>
host=dynamic           <-------------  If you're using DHCP, or the
address if it's static
dtmfmode=inband
mailbox=<mailboxnumber>@<voicemailcontext>    <--------  should
correspond to setup in voicemail.conf
context=<context_name>      <---------whatever you want, but you must
have it in extensions.conf - see below
disallow=all
allow=ulaw    <------   or whatever codecs you want to use

5. In /etc/asterisk/extensions.conf you'll need to add an extension for
each phone device that you set in sip.conf (You can also use regex
and/or macros to write just one entry that will match all your phones).
  A basic entry will look like this:

[context_name]          <----------  the same one you specified above
in sip.conf
exten => 100,1,Dial(SIP/100,20)         <------ Dial the sip device for
20 seconds
exten => 100,2,Hangup

After this, you'll want to add voicemail and you'll probably want to
set up your other line appearances (hint: you'll probably want to use
CheckGroup and SetGroup to disable call waiting).  After all that you
can do fun things like set up MWI and intercom.  Those are detailed on
the WIKI.

Thanks,
Noah