[Asterisk-Users] why even use SIP

Time Bandit timebandit001 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 04:54:03 MST 2005

> 5) MWI, Call Waiting, 3-way calling missing
If I remember correctly (only used an IAXy a couple of times), it uses
shutter-tone to tell you when there's a message waiting

It definitely support Call Waiting : just use "Flash" as with normal
call waiting on the PSTN

Never tried 3-way calling, but I think it supports it

> 6) Configuration requires Linux, as opposed to a web browser or
> something more standard.
I compiled iaxprov on Cygwin, works nicely. There's somebody on this
list that made a Windows version to provision it. Works nicely, GUI
interface, can even scan the LAN to find IAXy. Here is the link to it
: http://dacosta.dynip.com/asterisk

> Let's face facts there, the IAXy sucks by any definition.
No it doesn't. Granted it has a couple shortcomings, but nothing that
bad. If Digium can fix the most important ones and find a way to drop
the price a bit, this would be a great little device.

Just my $0.02 CDN