[Asterisk-Users] why even use SIP

Erik Espinoza erik.espinoza at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 16:34:42 MST 2005

> Never had a problem with mine. I set my DHCP server to hand out a
> specific IP to the IAXy, too.

Works on some, but not all. It fails on Microsoft and Cisco DHCP
Servers. Just because it works for you doesn't mean it's implemented
correctly.

> What's the advantage over unplugging the unit and plugging it back in?

That's not resetting, that's rebooting. There is a difference. If I
forget the password to my linksys, I can hit the reset button to reset
to defaults.

Besides there are many things wrong with the IAXy.

1) Price, twice as expensive as the SIPURA equivalent
2) Codecs, only supports ulaw/pcm
3) Doesn't properly support DHCP
4) Security, there is none. If it can be communicated with, then it
can be zapped without a password!!!!
5) MWI, Call Waiting, 3-way calling missing
6) Configuration requires Linux, as opposed to a web browser or
something more standard.

Let's face facts there, the IAXy sucks by any definition. Digium
support is pretty much go on IRC or e-mail this list and ask here.
After my experience with the IAXy, I never thought I'd be happy to
give Linksys my money (PAP2-NA's)