[Asterisk-Users] Rhino Channel Bank or ADIT 600

C F shmaltz at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 18:30:38 MST 2005

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 19:36:26 +0000, cmould <carey.mould at e2team.com> wrote:
> I am forklifting a Merridian option 51c with 112 Nortel Digital Handsets
> and 400 analog units. For the analog units  I have quotes for 9 ADIT 600
> 48 port fxs units and 17 Rhino 24 port FXS channel banks. I have used
> neither.  Which is the best choice? The price difference is not that
> great.  I am looking at Citelinks 24 port Handset Gateway for the Nortel
> Digital units. (Any other suggestions would be appreciated).

I'm actually trying to accomplish the same thing. 360 analog units,
just hung up the phone with carrier access tech support, they where
very helpful. plus this:
http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2004-December/077099.html
looks like I'm going with Adit. But instead of T1 from the Adit to * I
plan on using CMG02 cards with the Adit 600, that gives me 9 Adit
boxes, each one will have 5 FXS cards (5*8=40) and one CMG card,
9*40=360 FXS ports. That will make the Adit handle the bulk of the
transcoding, and hence the CPU eat up.

> Also how many Asterisk servers would I need to handle 200 IP units in
> addition to the the above referenced legacy units? How do I size the
> server? Do I put voice mail on a different box?

This is only a problem if you will be doing lots of transcoding (Zap <
-- > SIP/G729 < -- > G711), if however you will be staying strictly
VOIP and no codec transcoding (thats why I'm going with the CMG cards
above, although it has to convert from MGCP to SIP, it doesn't eat up
as much as from G711 to G729, or Zap to SIP), then you should't have a
problem using one Dual Xeon box. If you must use telco provided T1s,
you can either use another Adit 600 with a CMG on it, and hand it off
to asterisk that way, or you could have one asterisk box just for the
handling of the T1s, however asterisk with 4 T1s using a Digium quad
T1 card, might (this is from experience, some people do have and
others don't) have some echo problems. The other solution would be to
have the 200 IP units connected to one box, and the analog ones
connected to the other, and then use IAX from box to box, but I'm not
sure it is better. I for myself am thinking of going with Quad Xeon
boxes, an overkill? maybe. But I've never seen anybody crying for
getting a better system than they need.

Putting VM on a different box I don't think will accomplish anything,
maybe make it even worse, since you will need the phone connected
asterisk to bridge the call and open a stream to the voicemail box,
maybe I'm wrong, but this is what I think.

Also don't forget to look at this:
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+dimensioning

Hope this helps, what ever your decision please put it on the list so
others know about it. I plan on putting my installation on the wiki
when it is done and running (another 3-4 months).