[Asterisk-Users] RE: Asterisk-Users Digest, Vol 8, Issue 152

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at starnetworks.us
Tue Mar 22 15:27:36 MST 2005

Wei Su wrote:
> I understand Asterisk is more like a B2BUA. But when this INFO request is
> sent to asterisk, asterisk is supposed to bridge the request to the other
> endpoint, right? In what situation, it decides to send a reply; in what
> situation, it decides to bridge the request?

It is not required to do anything with INFO requests at all, it can
ignore them or reject them if it wants to.

It is possible to bridge the request to the other peer, but keep in mind
that the other peer might not be SIP at all (IAX2, Zaptel, an
application, H.323, etc.) Since Asterisk is acting as a PBX, it's free
to choose what to do with them, if anything at all.

Right now Asterisk only handles one type of SIP INFO packet: the ones
used for DTMF transmission.