[Asterisk-Users] Major problems with TDM400 and specific telephones: suggestions?

tmassey at obscorp.com tmassey at obscorp.com
Tue Mar 22 13:08:58 MST 2005

Hello!

Attached to the bottom of this e-mail is an edited version of an e-mail I
originally wrote to Digium tech support regarding Ouch and Power alarm
errors I have been receiving on my TDM400.  It contains a great deal of
detail regarding my setup.  In the end, I have found that one of the 5
phones I'm trying to make work with Asterisk is contributing to the
generation of these errors.

The phone in question is what I would consider to be a good-quality GE
two-line cordless telephone.  Digium's guess is that it is "putting power
on the telephone line and the card doesn't like that."  They have given me
zero solution other than to use a different telephone.

If this were a $25 garbage telephone I could understand.  Or, if *any*
other device had problems with it, I could understand.  But this was a
reasonably expensive, seemingly reasonably high quality telephone.  It is
also a telephone that I have used quite successfully not only on standard
POTS lines, but also on a variety of ISDN NT-1's with zero problems.  I
don't mean that I've used this model.  I've used this *phone* on at least
4 different brands and models of NT-1's, several different POTS lines and
even an SPA-2000.  Not one bit of problem.  Yet the TDM400 card just
chokes itself with Power alarm and Ouch errors.

Does anyone have any idea of what I can do to try to correct this?  Is
there some sort of filter or adapter that I can use to condition the line
for the TDM400 FXS modules?  I'm handy with a soldering iron:  if you've
got an idea for a circuit, I'm game.  I'm going to try experimenting with
some caps and coils.  Anyone been down this road yet?

As an aside, why is it that just about *any* other device with an analog
interface you can buy today more robust than the TDM cards?  I've used
countless different ISDN NT-1's without problems, from $100 cheapo models
to $1000 high-end devices and tons in between and none have had problems
like this.  Now there's a ton of SIP gateway devices.  They don't seem to
have these issues.  Why do the TDM cards?  And most importantly, can an
end user do anything about this?

Tim Massey

Hello!

I have been struggling to get a TDM400 card working for some time now.  I
have a TDM400 with 3 FXS modules and 1 FXO module.  Right now, the FXO is
installed but not connected to anything, and the FXS are connected to a
number of telephones, including an inexpensive Lucent standalone analog
phone, a 2-line AT&T standalone analog phone, a 2-line GE analog
speakerphone with AC adapter, an inexpensive VTech cordless telephone with
AC adapter, and a 2-line GE cordless phone, also with AC adapter.  I am
testing the board right now just by calling back and forth internally from
extension to extension.

As long as I do not have the GE cordless phone plugged in, there seems to
be no problems so far.  At least, I do not believe I have yet seen the
problem when the GE is not plugged in.  Also, if I do not pick up the GE
cordless phone, I do not get any errors.  However, if I take the GE
cordless phone off hook or put the phone back on hook, I will get "Ouch,
part reset, quickly restoring reality (#)" errors, as well as "Power alarm
on module #, resetting!" errors.  This does not happen every time I pick
up or hang up the phone, but after a relatively short number of times
(say, under 20 at the very most) I will get one or both of the errors.

It seems that the "Ouch" errors are indexed from zero, and the "Power
alarm" errors are indexed from one.  The port that generates these errors
seems to vary.  While the port that the GE cordless phone is plugged into
seems to appear a decent amount, it is far from consistent.  For example,
right now the cordless phone is in port 1.  However, I've gotten two Ouch
errors, one for 0 and one for 1, and I've gotten three Power alarm errors,
two for module 2 and one for module 1.

After an error, channels on the the board often become very staticy.  I
believe that this only happens after a Power alarm, not after an Ouch
error.  In fact, I am pretty (but not completely) sure that after an Ouch
error the board (or at least individual channels that are reset) clears
up.  Also, not just the channel that have had an error is affected:
sometimes (but not always) all of the channels are affected.  Sometimes
the dialtone can be heard through the static, sometimes not.  Even when
the dialtone can be heard, it does not respond to DTMF tones.  This varies
from channel to channel:  for example, right now, the dialtone can be
heard through the static on one channel, but the other two have louder
static, and I cannot hear a dialtone.  I don't think the static is
drowning out the dialtone:  I think it's plain not there.  Also, if I
leave those channels off hook, I do not get a busy signal.  Or at least, I
don't hear a busy signal...

Exiting Asterisk does not affect this.  The static stays the same.  Of
course, with Asterisk exited, there is no dialtone on any channel, but the
static remains.  Restarting Asterisk causes the dialtone to return on
those channels that had dialtone before, but the static remains.

Bouncing the wctdm driver *does*, however, restore operation to all
channels, at least for a little while.

Until the error occurs a single time, I can call back and forth from
device to device (including the GE cordless) for a while without problems.
 However, once I get a single error, I tend to get lots of errors from
then on out until the driver is bounced.  I can get these errors by doing
nearly anything:  picking up any phone, dialing any phone, etc.  I
certainly do not get an error every time I do anything, but nearly any
action has the potential for causing an error.  Also, while I believe that
the "Ouch" errors restore the board (or at least, individual channels) to
a working state, it does not prevent the error from happening again:
unlike bouncing the driver the errors continue to happen quickly even
after an "Ouch".

The GE cordless telephone is not a cheap quality (or even, for that
matter, inexpensive) cordless telephone.  It is described as a
business-class telephone.  It is a phone that I have used successfully
with normal POTS lines, a number of ISDN NT-1's, and other such devices. I
have had zero problems with it in any other case:  in fact, it's the best
cordless phone I've ever used!  :)  I do not know why this phone should
cause a problem with the TDM card when it does not cause a problem for
anything else.

What about this phone could be causing this problem?  More importantly,
what can be done to correct this?  I have loaded the driver with the
lowpower=1 parameter, the robust=1 parameter and even both at the same
time.  This has had no effect.  What else can I do?  I have tried plugging
the GE cordless into each of the three FXS modules I have and I get
problems with each of them.  I have also tried two radically different
systems:  a Via EPIA-MII single-board computer, and an IBM Netfinity 5600
file server.  I don't know how you can get two more different systems, yet
both systems give me the same problems.

<Conact information and polite conclusion snipped>

Thank you,

Timothy J. Massey