[Asterisk-Users] Registration issues with Sipura SPA-841

GliTcH glitchsys at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 09:23:39 MST 2005

This is a common issue with all Sipura devices I've seen. I set the
registration interval to 5 minutes, so that NAT doesn't interfere.
I've done this with Cisco IP Phones, Cisco ATA Converters, and Sipura
SPA-1001, SPA-2000, SPA-2100, and SPA-841's. All Sipura's have the
same issue, 1 out of every 10 or so registrations will fail. I will
suddenly see a Registration failed notice in the Asterisk console, 5
minutes later the phone will go to register, and it works fine.  The
right userid and password is programmed into the phone.  What this
leaves is a 5 minute gap when the phone can not be called, if somebody
calls that Sipura device within that 5 minutes, they will go straight
to voicemail. It's damned annoying. I've tried this on several
different interenet connections (At home (where I have DSL and Cable),
at work, at my friends home, etc.) and with multiple Asterisk servers
and different providers.  I've also confirmed this with a sister
company we helped build, they've seen the same issues w/ Sipura's,
they contacted Sipura about it and Sipura said it was a known issue
they were working to resolve, but no ETA. Go figure. I was thinking
about going to Linksys's PAP2-NA but I don't know much about it,
except they're glorified Sipura's and may potentially have the same
issue w/ Asterisk. I don't like how Linksys doesn't support them w/
end users, doesn't offer firmware, makes them a pain to obtain, etc.
etc.

I'm trying to investigate going to a different manufacturer, but I
don't like the Cisco ATA-186's very much and they're too pricey, so I
don't know where to go next. voipsupply has a pretty big collection,
maybe I'll order 1 of each for testing.

We're about to deploy 150 converters to residential and business users
and I can't even find one I like, jeesh. Don't say the IAXY, I only
use IAX for Asterisk-Asterisk communication, not for end users.