[Asterisk-Users] mpg123 home music from stream

Ken Godee ken at perfect-image.com
Mon Mar 21 11:59:51 MST 2005

Matt wrote:

> Really?   I just tried it and WHEN it's working.. it is streaming..
> and even when I hang up it keeps mpg123 up and running in the
> background.

Yes, doing a "ps/top" will show mpg123 processes but
watch the precentage of cpu usage die to 0%.
Asterisk may at any time have several mpg123 processes
running, but they may all be idle.

The way asterisk interacts with playing
mp3's is very specific in how it plays and then
saves cpu cycles by stopping the mp3 from playing
(when ever there are no active channels)
but leaving the mpg123/process in memory.

This can be show even with normal mp3 moh, by
having several mp3's and hanging up your
test call to moh, then several minutes later
dial back to your test moh and you'll still
be on the same song. asterisk stops mp3 play
to conserve cpu cycles and restarts when called
on.

Watch the connections on your streaming server
30-180 seconds after hanging up your test call to
moh. Dial back in and watch no new streaming
connections are made. Listen to your moh and
observe your actually in a buffered mpg123 loop.