[Asterisk-Users] Can't hear the caller

Lane lane at joeandlane.com
Mon Mar 21 11:53:32 MST 2005

Hi,

I've got a strange issue, that I haven't found addressed on the wiki.

My asterisk box is behind a firewall which routes udp/tcp requests on 5060 and
8000 to asterisk.

When I make a call from a Zap or SIP extension on the inside of the firewall
to any Zap or SIP extension on the inside of the firewall, everything works
find.  I have access to voipjet, and when I place a call through them
everything also works fine.

However, I have several SIP extensions defined for remote users.  They can
authenticate to asterisk and they can call me and I can call them.  However,
whether I place the call or receive the call I cannot hear the remote user!!
They can hear me, though. (I'm inside the firewall).

My remote users are on XLite, if that makes a difference.

Anybody got an idea why the firewall is blocking traffic for these SIP phones,
but not for voipjet?

Thanks

lane