[Asterisk-Users] Choosing an ISP for Asterisk

Kerry Garrison kerryg at techdatapros.com
Mon Mar 21 08:10:19 MST 2005

Personal opinion here, but in an office of 50 users we just built, here is
what we did. First, the PBX was equipped with 4 analog lines that were setup
as a failover in case the T1 for voice data failed. Secondly, another 4
analog lines were dropped in a central location of the office with analog
handsets stored in a cabinet close by in case the entire network was down,
as well as the two fax machine lines both equipped with handsets. Now if I
was still really concerned about 911 calls after all this, I would issue a
memo telling everyone that in case of emergency, use your cell phone to dial
911 as out of 50 people, all but I think 4 people carry cell phones there.

As a sidenote to all of this, with 50 people, it was not practical to
combine both voice and data over the same line. Doing the math simply didn't
add up. We calculated a maximum usage at any one time being around 20 voice
calls. This justified bringing in a voice T1 into a digital line card.

-Kerry