[Asterisk-Users] Choosing an ISP for Asterisk

Jean-Michel Hiver hiver.j at wanadoo.fr
Mon Mar 21 01:36:45 MST 2005

>However, I don't know the specific requirements for the T1 line or how to split the data and voice.

The point of VoIP is to consolidate data and voice onto one network.
Combining both allows for economies of scale:

* you don't have to use sangoma or digium card, this is the VoIP
provider's task!
* bandwith for voice + bandwith for data > bandwith for (voice + data).
* you have only one network to focus your efforts on.

So assuming you can have high quality bandwith (guaranteed throughput,
guaranteed uptime, good pings) - then just have an IP data pipe.

Say, 2 Megs symetrical, contention ratio 1:1. This is to be used for
voice and for internet. Then you just need 1 PSTN line for 911 emergencies.

Then you'll need to deploy a solid bandwith shaping solution to
guarantee enough bandwith for VoIP traffic at all times.

An additional advantage of this setup is that should you have offices
that are equiped the same way, then communications cost between those
offices would drop to zero because they become purely VoIP <-> VoIP.

Another benefit is that you're not limited to 24 channels but by your
bandwith.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel.