[Asterisk-Users] Any 24 (or 30) way FXS PCI cards?

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Sun Mar 20 12:44:56 MST 2005

> > > Trouble is power. Unless there is more power made available, you may not
> > > be able to drive the ring voltage of several consecutive lines at once.
> > >
> > > Take for instance the Adit 600, it has a 130w power supply for just 25
> > > ren capability. Think of the troubles that would cause trying to be
> > > regulated through your standard PC PSU of 300w. Won't you just love
> > > trying to diagnose random reboots right after a phone call comes in and
> > > over draws your PSU capacity and it goes into short protection where it
> > > begins pulsing power.
> >
> > The entire telephony system relies heavily on statistical probabilities,
> > including central office switches, inter-office trunking, and ringing.
> > Applying the above thought process to a central office, there is no way
> > a single central office could possibly ring all telephones associated
> > with that office simultanously. The ring generators could never handle
> > it.
> >
> > Likewise for a pc card supporting 24 fxs lines. The probability of three
> > or more lines ringing at exactly the same time are very small. With at
> > least a little engineering forethought, its not that difficult to
> > create ring cycles where ports 1 through 6 ring during some period,
> > followed by 7 through 12, etc. (That's actually how most central
> > offices handle ringing now with a couple of exceptions.)
>
> Maybe, but is that something you would expect in a PBX? And do you do
> that in drivers or in circuits?

On the older pbx's, the ring cycle thing was true as well. Not sure about
the new pbx systems though. Pure guess is the current pbx's probably don't
have a ring cycle loading issue because of software controls.

> > A bigger issue is really oriented around how many ringers exist on a
> > single fxs port, and that _could_ be limited by specifically limiting
> > user implementation (via specs) to one phone per port (or whatever), etc.
> >
> > Couple that with the fact that current ringer designs require
> > substantially less power then the old electomechanical ringers, it
> > certainly isn't that difficult to design a PC board to support
> > 24 fxs ports.
>
> You are right, but you still hit the same problem just at a lower
> probability of major problems. I still contend that any design is going
> to need it's own external powersupply so as to not over draw the PC's
> PSU and cause it to either fail or pulse causing system stability
> problems.

Sure, it really is an engineering issue that can be easily quantified
and handled through multiple designs/solutions.