[Asterisk-Users] Echo after upgrade * 1.05 -> 1.06

Remco Barende asterisk at barendse.to
Sun Mar 20 03:05:25 MST 2005

>> Today I upgraded my asterisk 1.0.5 to 1.0.6 and suddenly I
>> have an echo
>> too on sip calls thru wengo!!
>
> Can you identify which side of the conversation hears the echo ? As you
> know, echo is heard on the side opposite of where it is generated.

Yes, it's my side only. The party being called doesn't hear it.

> Also it is good to have an idea of the audio path you are looking at. In
> general there can be no audio leakage in a digital path, so everything that
> is using VoIP cannot introduce an echo.
>
>> I already verified wengo was not the source of the problems
>> by switching
>> accounts on the server so I'm pretty sure the problem appeared after
>> installing astreisk 1.0.6.
>
> You could verify that by rolling back to 1.0.5 now. To be honest, I doubt
> that the asterisk version will introduce an new echo issue. There are a few
> things you might consider:

OK, i'll try that

> - The methods in which asterisk cancels echo may have been changed between
> 1.0.5 and 1.0.6. You would never notice this, because your setup is all VoIP
> (no Zap)
> - You might experience echo because the length of the audio path is now
> exceeding 25 ms where it was not before. I doubt this is the case because
> almost any VoIP setup will exceed that boundary. You might try to verify it
> though.

The echo is quite slow, I would estimate about half a second or even more!

>> Both setups are similar, an * box with SIP phones
>> (Grandstream and Sipura
>> SPA-2000's) and a wengo sip account to place calls.
>
> I can imagine the Grandstream or a cheap phone on the Sipura might introduce
> some accoustic echo (i.e. sound that is played out the speaker and then
> picked up on the microphone). In that case you would probably have noticed
> it with 1.0.5. too, but maybe you changed some gain settings in the mean
> time ? Also note that in this scenario the other party (behind the Wengo
> network) would hear the echo, not you. There are some ways to suppress this
> kind of echo, but the only real solution for this is lowering the volume on
> your phones.

I would accept that albeit that my setup has been running without echo for
some months! It's only after upgrading to 1.0.6 that I have an audible
echo. I would suspect a bug in the echo cancelling for bridges sip calls?

> If this does not help, roll back to your previous version, test again. Also
> inquire at Wengo if they have changed anything on their setups recently that
> might cause such an effect.

I guess that problem is not at wengo. My friend (where I installed *
1.0.6 2 days ago had an echo with wengo too while at the time I did not.
(He is running 1.0.6 from the start). When I upgraded to 1.0.6 I had the
same echo which would make me believe the problem is in the local setup.

Thanks!!
Remco