[Asterisk-Users] Cisco 7960 SIP Firmware

Michael Puchol mpuchol at sonar-security.com
Sat Mar 19 17:29:51 MST 2005

cory at voipsupply.com wrote:
> Cisco has recently changed the licensing distribution model for all of
> their phones.  They are no longer currently selling the "Spare" version of
> the Cisco phones.

I was told by Ingram Spain that they could only sell me the 'spare'
version if I also purchased a CallManager license with it, which IMHO
beats the purpose of it being called 'spare'. So, apparently, each phone
is tied to it's license so-to-speak and the concept of 'spare' becomes
rather vague.

> The new licensing program, as it was explained to me, will force
> distribution buyers who purchase any Cisco phones to also purchase a $150
> SIP/MGCP license, this adds $150 to the list price of any model you
> purchase.

If this is so, I expect to see Cisco phone sales decline. I was told by
Cisco Spain that I had to supply the details of *my* end client to them,
for "quality assurance" purposes, so that they can call the client and
tell them how good a dealer I am (literally!). I imagine if I were to
become a "bad" dealer, they could also phone all my client portfolio and
  direct them to an alternative "good" dealer. I ended up purchasing the
phones from a distributor who didn't ask me any questions. In any case,
it may well be the last Cisco phones I purchase.

> They are supposed to be releasing a new "SP" service provider edition of
> each phone model, which also will require the $150 SIP/MGCP license.

I bet they wish we all pulled our trousers further up so they could
tighten the belt and squeeze our necks a bit more.

<SNIP>

> Perhaps there is a Cisco telephony authorized firm on this list who can
> shed some light on that seemingly illogical requirement.

Er...Cisco's logic IMHO is inverted - I was also told by Cisco that they
are now targeting small and medium-size bussiness, I presume because
their growth potential in large companies is getting close to zero. I
don't see how this policy, which seems clearly aimed at making you
purchase their very expensive PBX solutions and their now more expensive
phones in favour of cheaper PBX that can also work with their phones,
ties up with the statements I got from them.

Eventually, they are going to be fighting decent taiwanese imports with
very cheap PBX systems, and I don't think many small or medium companies
will have the slightest doubts on what is more cost effective.

Regards, thanks for the information,

Mike