[Asterisk-Users] Cisco 7960 SIP Firmware

cory at voipsupply.com cory at voipsupply.com
Sat Mar 19 17:03:35 MST 2005

We can probably help you out with purchasing a Smartnet contract for your
CP-7960 phone, although we are not an authorized Cisco reseller.  We are
Polycom authorized, and represent myriad other vendors as well, but in
terms of Cisco products we have never been Cisco authorized.

Cisco has recently changed the licensing distribution model for all of
their phones.  They are no longer currently selling the "Spare" version of
the Cisco phones.

>From what I have been told and what I have seen on Ingram and TechData,
the phones are only available in the CH1 (CallManager) and CCME
(CallManager Express) flavors.

The new licensing program, as it was explained to me, will force
distribution buyers who purchase any Cisco phones to also purchase a $150
SIP/MGCP license, this adds $150 to the list price of any model you
purchase.

They are supposed to be releasing a new "SP" service provider edition of
each phone model, which also will require the $150 SIP/MGCP license.

The odd part is I have been told this SIP/MGCP license is a requirement
for any version you buy, CH1 (CallManager), CCME (CallManager Express) or
the SP (Service Provider) edition.

If someone expressly wants to purchase the CH1 or CCME versions of the
phones, they must be using CallManager or CM Express right?  Why else
would they buy that version other than to have the correct licensing for
their Cisco PBX.

If you are using CallManager or CM Express, why would you need a $150
SIP/MGCP license, when your PBX runs Cisco Skinny protocol, not SIP or
MGCP.

Perhaps there is a Cisco telephony authorized firm on this list who can
shed some light on that seemingly illogical requirement.

Cory @ VOIPSupply.com

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

> I wonder if VoipSupply can sell the maintenance contract for the phone?
> Wouldn't hurt to ask. The fellow from VS is a regular poster over on the
> asterisk-biz list.
>
> --On Saturday, March 19, 2005 11:09 AM -0600 Jerry <jjones at quiddesign.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I would suggest contacting a dealer until you find one who will sell you
>> a maintenance contract for the phone. Last I checked, over a year ago,
>> they were somewhere around $10-$20. Once you have a contract you may
>> register online and download all the software you need. However to use
>> legally you would have the pay the ~$50 license fee for SIP.
>>
>> On Mar 18, 2005, at 10:17 PM, Patrick M. Gray, Jr. wrote:
>>
>>> That seems to be what the various documents I've stumbled across seem
>>> indicate.  Maybe it's too late at night and my brain is shot, but