[Asterisk-Users] GR303 with *

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at starnetworks.us
Sat Mar 19 09:36:08 MST 2005

Matt Darnell wrote:

> Do you have an recomendations for the GR-303 concentrator?

There are a number of them; Digium has an Adtran unit (IIRC) that they
demonstrate in their trade show booth.

> I was read that the GR-303 protocol is very similar to ISDN-PRI & NFAS.

Yes it is.

> I don't understand what there is to support a GR-303 concentrator, it
> appears it presents a standard T1 to the end device.

It is an entirely different protocol from T1 RBS and PRI, so there is
software support needed for it.

> Do you have any idea how hard it would be to plug the GR-303 circuit
> directly into *?

It's very easy; plug it into the T-1 card of your choice. The issue is
what is on the other end: if it's a switch expecting to talk to an
access concentrator, then it won't work. If it's an access concentrator,
then it can be made to work using the proper configuration.

At this time, Asterisk can only use GR-303 for supporting analog devices
hung off of channel banks that are themselves connected to a GR-303
access concentrator. The purpose of this is to only require a smaller
number of channels between the devices and Asterisk (only what is
required for simultaneous use).

For example, if you have 96 analog desk sets (FXS devices), under normal
circumstances those would be connected to 4 T-1 channel banks, each of
which would connect to a T-1 port on the Asterisk server.

However, if it's rare that more than 24 of those phones would be in use
at one time, it's possible to connect the channel banks to a GR-303
concentrator, and run only a single T-1 between it and Asterisk. This
saves money for hardware on the Asterisk end, and if the T-1 between
Asterisk and the concentrator is between buildings (or across town), may
say a lot of money because only one circuit is needed instead of four.

This is essentially the same idea as an SLC or DLC system, but using a
newer protocol.