[Asterisk-Users] small Local telco (wifi voip) some experiences with * ??

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Sat Mar 19 07:03:19 MST 2005

> Hello. I would like to know if somebody did a wireles voip with Asterisk PBX.
>
> I think to deploy a wireless for about 500 potential customers, it's a 3 km
> radius maximum coverage with houses without phone lines, I work for public
> places telephony small enterprises ( a common bussines in Spain) so I can get
> good rates from 4 telcos and do LCR at my asterisk PBX.
>
> Is anybody did this before ????

I have an employee that is using a Cisco 7960 across a double wireless
network. His wireless provider uses Cisco's wireless gear to provide
wide area coverage (guess about five mile coverage), and since his
"house" cannot access their tower, he has an additional wireless link
from his barn to his house using Linksys equipment in a bridging mode.

It works fine with both g711 and g729 codecs most of the time, but once
in a great while the local Linksys units lose connectivity. The lost
path will typically last from about five to more then 100 seconds. It
happens so infrequent that no one with any practical wireless
experience has attempted to identify that issue (as yet).

We support several other isp's in the US that also use wireless, and
most of the commercial/quality installations will support voip just
fine. Non othe them use the inexpensive 802.11 gear however.