[Asterisk-Users] small Local telco (wifi voip) some experiences with * ??

tim panton tpanton at attglobal.net
Fri Mar 18 13:50:23 MST 2005

On 18 Mar 2005, at 20:22, Paco Perez wrote:

> Hello. I would like to know if somebody did a wireles voip with
> Asterisk PBX.
>
> I think to deploy a wireless for about 500 potential customers, it's a
> 3 km
> radius maximum coverage with houses without phone lines, I work for
> public
> places telephony small enterprises ( a common bussines in Spain) so I
> can get
> good rates from 4 telcos and do LCR at my asterisk PBX.

> Is anybody did this before ????

This isn't the same case, but perhaps it could serve as a warning.

I had planed to use Wifi to connect my office phones.
I set the network up 1 asterisk server, 3 snom phones, 1 sipura 2000
and a
zyxel 2000w with a Linksys AP in a small office. I used WEP and g729a
throughout.

We then tried the system. It basically worked, but the quality was
patchy.
For example, in any 5 minute call I'd have at least a single half second
drop out.

I got the cable contractors in, they ran cat5 everywhere, and the
quality
improved to the point that it is indistinguishable from any other PBX.

By the way, the same wifi network is fine for email, browsing etc.

Tim.