[Asterisk-Users] small Local telco (wifi voip) some experiences with * ??

Jeremy Jones jeremy at samnjack.com
Fri Mar 18 13:25:49 MST 2005

Paco Perez wrote:
> Hello. I would like to know if somebody did a wireles voip with Asterisk PBX.
>
> I think to deploy a wireless for about 500 potential customers, it's a 3 km
> radius maximum coverage with houses without phone lines, I work for public
> places telephony small enterprises ( a common bussines in Spain) so I can get
> good rates from 4 telcos and do LCR at my asterisk PBX.
> Is anybody did this before ????

I'd advise against it.  I recently worked for a small telco/isp that
tried this.  I've been out of the company for a while now, but since I
left, they've trashed the wireless gear & replaced with fiber.  From my
experience, you'll get decent quality sometimes -- maybe even great
quality most of the time -- but when little Timmy can't talk to Granny
on Sunday afternoon 'cuz the Moon is in Virgo & your wireless network's
gone flaky, you'll hear all about it.  Use a network you can trust as
much as you expect to trust a pots line, or don't bother, I'd say.

Jeremy