[Asterisk-Users] OT: Best DB

Chris Travers chris at metatrontech.com
Thu Mar 17 12:44:06 MST 2005

David Brodbeck wrote:

>This Postgres vs. MySQL business is ultimately just a religious debate, like
>PC vs. Mac, Ford vs. Chevy, or Kirk vs. Picard.

With all due respect I disagree.  It is much more like a public policy
debate.  There are those of us in any of the Oracle, DB2, or PostgreSQL
camps who feel like the RDBMS should be responsible for maintaining data
integrity, because we value our data.   The fact that I don't have a use
for MySQL does not withstand everything else I say here.

FWIW, I don't consider MySQL to be an RDBMS.  I consider it to be a
RDBSS (Relational Database Storage System).  It does not adequately
provide features to Manage (i.e. the M in RDBMS) or Present your data to
make it worthwhile where one needs an RDBMS.  That being said, it works
well for certain types of applications which don't need these features
nor worry as much about data integrity as an accountant might.

This is why, in the end, what you want to do with your data will
determine your choice.  However, of the Free DB's, PostgreSQL will give
you the most growth potential, while MySQL may give you the most
ready-to-use-apps.  This last comment is entirely on-topic because it
asks back:
What are your ultimate plans for the data?  Only then can you make a
reasonable choice.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers