[Asterisk-Users] Problem starting Asterisk - libssl.so.4 cannot be found

Andy and Jayne Slim andy.jayne at ntlworld.com
Wed Mar 16 08:04:32 MST 2005

I'm sure this is a pretty basic problem, unfortunately I am a telecomms rather
than a Linux person so any suggestions would be most appreciated.  I have
successfully downloaded and installed the various Asterisk packages.
However, when I try to start Asterisk, I immediately get a message saying
module 'libssl.so.4' cannot be found and the startup is halted.  I don't have
this file anywhere on my system but I read on some articles that this was a
symbolic link to libssl.so.0.9 so I did an 'ln -s' to point the offending
module there.  This made no difference.  I therefore upgraded my Open SSL
version to 0.9.7d and then re-installed Asterisk.  Still no joy.  I have
moved the module and its symbolic link to the same folder as the Asterisk
executable, and checked the path statements in ld.conf, but the program still
will not start.  Please can someone advise me on what else I should try to
resolve this?

Many thanks for your help

Andy