[Asterisk-Users] Obscure * command and audio questions

David Josephson dlj at altaphon.com
Wed Mar 16 15:23:04 MST 2005

A few bits and pieces that I hope someone here has answers for.
Basically, I'm in the audio business and I hope to get better control of
the audio performance in *.

1. I seem to recall seeing a tonelist parameter that allowed tones to be
set at levels other than 0, for instance !1000/500 at -20 would generate 1
kHz for half a second at -20 dBm0. But this doesn't work and I can't
find the original reference. Anyone?

2. In ztmonitor there is a bargraph for setting levels, and there's a
patch available in bug 2783 to show numeric values for the levels on tx
and rx paths. Has anyone calibrated these numbers to dBfs or dBm0? They
look like a straight decimal conversion of the audio bitstream but how
literal is this?

3. Levels from app_milliwatt and Playtones are different. app_milliwatt
says it's generating a mu-law bitstream but I can't find the code that's
actually doing this. What does Playtones use?

4. Is it possible to tweak the gains of the transcoding modules without
patching the source? What about non-transcoded calls like straight a-law
to a-law connections, for instance?

5. In various docs rxgain and txgain in zapata.conf are said to be in dB
or percent or some arbitrary number. My C is very rusty, but in
chan_zap.c the number seems to be converted to a linear gain number
using a formula for voltage gain rather than power gain.  Has anyone
calibrated this?

Thanks

David Josephson