[Asterisk-Users] Call Center software opensource or commercia l

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at starnetworks.us
Wed Mar 16 10:56:29 MST 2005

mattf wrote:

> In our experience having more processors doesn't really matter on the x86
> platform because of the limitations of the motherboard bus.

The "motherboard bus" is not very specific.

If you are referring to the PCI bus, then most dual/quad/etc. Opteron
boxes have multiple independent PCI busses as well. However, nothing
that Asterisk does really cares, it does not transfer much data across
the PCI bus.

If you are referring to the memory bus and/or the bus used to talk
between the CPUs, that is exactly the reason that I suggested Opteron.
Nothing out there in x86/x86-64 land even comes close to HyperTransport
without spending large sums of money. A quad Opteron with DDR2 RAM
connected to each CPU (not a single bank) makes for a very, very fast
box. Just look at what Cray has been able to do with the XD-1 by
connecting HyperTransports between CPU modules and across chassis.