[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk E911?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at starnetworks.us
Wed Mar 16 10:16:50 MST 2005

Rich Adamson wrote:

> To avoid legal issues down the road, I'd suggest handling it via a
> local pstn line (one way or another), and install a Red Phone with
> a normal pstn line for emergency use. (The pstn line for the Red
> Phone 'could' be used for incoming faxes as well, and when combined
> with something like an spa3000, will handle * to pstn 911 calls.)

If you provide a special line for E911 access, just absolutely _must
not_ put anything on that line that will answer the incoming calls.
Return calls from the E911 operator _must_ be able to ring that phone
and be answered without special prior arrangements (turning off a FAX
machine, etc). If you don't provide for this, you are asking for
liability issues when someone gets disconnected and the operator cannot
contact them.

In fact, I will not provide E911 access for any of customers unless they
  allow us to provision a separate, unpublished DID number that we use
to report as the CLID to the PSAP, and that when incoming calls come in
it rings all the phones in the office immediately. There is no value in
providing a CLID to the PSAP that when called back answers with an IVR
and dumps the operator into a queue or anything similar.