[Asterisk-Users] OT: Best DB

Giudice, Salvatore Salvatore.Giudice at FMR.COM
Wed Mar 16 09:29:30 MST 2005

Use whichever you want. Go get your own benchmarks. I'm sure you will
find benchmarks all over the web based on different conditions. The fact
remains that enterprises are deploying MySQL 4:1 over postergreSQL. I
believe the driving factors for this are the ability to commercially
license Mysql for product integration over PostgreSQL's BSD license, and
the availability of support from MySQL directly. With regard to Redhat,
Fujitsu, etc - MySQL database support is not their main line of
business. If you believe different, then let's hear it.

As for your 'artist license with your data' comment, put it into some
context. I would blame a programmer for trying to insert a string of 255
characters into a field only 100 character wide. Maybe you could blame
the dba for not building a schema to support the application.
Regardless, I would not call the database deficient because it truncates
your data to 100 characters and doesn't warn you with an error. Get
real. It is not as if this behavior is unexpected or some sort of a
surprise.

Run whichever DB you want. It's your choice, as always. You are
certainly free to sit in your office frothing all over yourself in your
own twisted PostgreSQL fantasy.