[Asterisk-Users] OT: Best DB

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Wed Mar 16 04:43:31 MST 2005

On March 15, 2005 06:04 pm, Giudice, Salvatore wrote:
> commercial licensing AND has a real enterprise class support structure
> behind it, or are you going to run with PostgreSQL (bow wow) distributed
> under a BSD license with some mom and pop support shops and some mailing

It's time to put up or shut up.

Can you please give supporting evidence that MySQL AG has no more "oomph" in
commercial support than companies like Command Prompt, Fujitsu, Red Hat, or
even PostgreSQL, Inc.?  Every single one of those organizations has
commercial support available for PostgreSQL.  I'm genuinely curious if you
consider MySQL AG "more of a company" than Red Hat or Fujitsu.

Seriously.  You're frothing at the mouth and tripping over yourself trying to
make your point, and you're so far off base to begin with that you couldn't
possibly be more wrong.

As far as your benchmark points go, until you can show me properly organized
and open benchmarks, your point is totally invalid.  In my cursory check
(hint: try locating the open database bake-off from a couple years ago,
phpbuilder's evaluation a few years back, http://benchw.sourceforge.net, or
locate anything done by independent testing groups) it appears that under
real-world load, Postgres trounces MySQL handily and can handle FAR more
concurrent connections than even a tuned-out MySQL server can handle.  Yes,
Postgres needs some tuning out of the box, this has been hashed over
repeatedly and nobody's denying it.  Yes, MySQL is fast for the simplest
queries and inserts.  And my personal favourite, Yes, MySQL will take
artistic license with your data.  These are all facts that everyone (MySQL AG
included) but you seems to be able to agree upon.  The only benchmarks you'll
speak of are those found with mysql-bench, but those results are generally
held as a practical joke with zero relevance in real-world applications.

Your comment on licensing is also interesting.  I wonder, do you also have
problems with Apache because it too is released under a BSD license?  How
about the BSD Unixes themselves?  How is BSD less good than GPL?  Honestly
I'd love to know!

> Hey, it's your choice. Do you want to eat American Grade A American beef
> or that strange meat flavored tofu? As long as it meets your needs,
> choose whatever you have the ability to handle.

Exactly my point.  This is *exactly* why I run PostgreSQL over MySQL.

At any rate I've participated in this offtopic thread enough.  Unless you post
some practical examples to back up your points I will let you have the last
word.  The list archives will no doubt commemorate this particular
thread.  :-)

-A.