[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk@Home Install Problem

John Novack jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org
Tue Mar 15 18:35:04 MST 2005

Scheda wrote:

>Whenever I try to install Asterisk at Home, I get this error at about 43%
>
>     There was an error installing rpmdb-redhat-3.4-0.20050105. This
>can indicate media failure, lack of disk space, and/or hardware
>problems. This is a fatal error and your install will be aborted.
>Please verify your media and try your install again.
>
>I've gotten this on 3 different cd's I've burned. To make sure it
>wasn't a hardware problem of some sort, I installed Debain last night.
>Went without a hitch, but *@Home doesn't like it... Any ideas as to
>why?

I have had similar problems with various installations, all traceable to
a CD drive that the install didn't like. RH8, RH9, Fedora and the
Asterisk at home
All the CD's were fine, and changing out the drive resulted in
repeatable installs.
All the drives were usable with a different OS ( not Linux )
Seems that some versions of the install are impatient about the CD drive.
But then I was using used surplus drives.
On a somewhat related note, CentOS, once installed from the CD, when
restarted, runs Kudzu on boot, and SOME network cards that installed
fine are "killed" by Kudzu , and no longer work. The 3Com card is one,
and this problem has existed since FC1, Mandrake10, and probably others.
Wouldn't you think that would have been corrected by now?

John Novack