[Asterisk-Users] OT: Best DB

Giudice, Salvatore Salvatore.Giudice at FMR.COM
Tue Mar 15 16:04:22 MST 2005

Maybe, it has absolutely nothing to do with performance or stability.
Maybe, it has something with 'ease of implementation', 'ease of use',
'availability of commercial support', and which database vendors
ultimately decide to support in their products. Obviously, Microsoft has
a lot of vendors pushing SQL server integration with their products.
Oracle has pretty good penetration with vendors also. Now if you were a
vendor and you going to integrate with open source database - Would you
choose MySQL, which is available under GPL with the possibility
commercial licensing AND has a real enterprise class support structure
behind it, or are you going to run with PostgreSQL (bow wow) distributed
under a BSD license with some mom and pop support shops and some mailing
lists? Well, I would say that vendors and enterprise customers are
speaking loud and clear when they are choosing MySQL 4 to 1 over
PostgreSQL.

Hey, it's your choice. Do you want to eat American Grade A American beef
or that strange meat flavored tofu? As long as it meets your needs,
choose whatever you have the ability to handle.

  _____