[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk retains DTMF Control Even when an External IVR System is dialed

Kanuri, Seshu (Company IT) Seshu.Kanuri at morganstanley.com
Tue Mar 15 11:16:26 MST 2005

I am using Asterisk 1.06 Stable.

When I dial my Mobile Number to check Voice Mail or my Bank Account
Phone Access Number, the IVR System on the other end asks me to enter
*2378 to transfer to an attendant.

But When I press *2378, Asterisk tells me that it cannot transfer the
calls and gives an error on CLI saying Extension '' does not exist in
the dial plan.

What is the trick to make Asterisk pass DTMF control to external IVR
systems using the dial plan, so that Asterisk will no more have control
on the DTMF but the called systems does.?

My SIP.Conf has the following dtmf entry for all users.
dtmfmode = rfc2833

I have the following configured in extensions.conf:
[macro-std-ext]
;
; Macro defining how a standard extension behaves when it is dialed
; ARG1 = extension number; ARG2 = extension type (SIP, IAX2, etc.)
;
;exten => s,1,Answer
exten => s, 1, Dial(${ARG2}/${ARG1}, ${RINGSECS}, Tt)
exten => s, 2, Voicemail2(u${ARG1})
exten => s, 102, Voicemail2(b${ARG1})
exten => s, 103, Hangup

[macro-dial-us]
;
; Macro for dialing within U.S and Canada
; ARG1 = the number to dial
;
exten => s, 1, SetCallerID(${CALLER_ID})
exten => s, 2, SetCIDName(${CALLER_ID_NAME})
exten => s, 3, Dial(SIP/${ARG1}@${SIPGATEWAY}, ${LONGTIMEOUT}, Tt)
;exten => s, 4, Dial(${VOICEPULSE}/${ARG1}, ${LONGTIMEOUT}, Tt)
exten => s, 4, Congestion

[default]
;
; Extension to Extension
; EXTEN = the number to dial
;
exten => 1600,1,Macro(std-ext,${EXTEN},SIP)
exten => 1601,1,Macro(std-ext,${EXTEN},SIP)
exten => 1602,1,Macro(std-ext,${EXTEN},SIP)

[dialout]
;the dialout context can be included in contexts which should have
access
;to an outside line
;This extension match matches dialing '9' from the phone on the FXS to
;the outside line.

include => default

; If 10-digit number, prefix with a 1 and dial the US number
exten => _NXXNXXXXXX, 1, Macro(dial-us,1${EXTEN})

; Full 11-digit U.S./Canada number - Just dial that number
exten => _1NXXNXXXXXX, 1, Macro(dial-us,${EXTEN})

/ End of Extensions.conf /

Any Suggestions?

Seshu Kanuri