[Asterisk-Users] Open ports?

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Tue Mar 15 08:42:06 MST 2005

> I have a quick question I hoping someone can help me with.  I have
> Asterisk at Home running and working just fine.  I've integrated it with
> BroadVoice and so far I'm blown away by everything I can do.
>
> I don't particularly like sitting my entire machine in the DMZ on my
> network sitting open, but when I do I can run XTen on my PC at work
> and make/take calls with no problems.
>
> So I locked down everything by UDP port 5060.  When I do this, I can
> register my softphone at work and I can dial out or receive calls, but
> no audio is passed.  So I'm guessing that port 5060 is only a
> signaling port and data is being passed elsewhere.  My question is,
> where?  What other port(s) do I need to open on my firewall to make
> things work fully outside of my network?

Yes, you need to open other udp ports for the rtp session (voice), and
those port numbers are dependent upon exactly which sip phone you use.
Check the xten documentation and you'll find something like ports 8000
through 8012 (or some such numbers), for asterisk look in rtp.conf
where it tells you (and you can change those values to much smaller
range), etc.

Might also note that not all firewalls/nat boxes operate the same, so
if you search the archives you'll find literally hundreds of posting
very similar to yours. Also check the wiki.