[Asterisk-Users] Text Messaging or AIM

C F shmaltz at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 15:12:39 MST 2005

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 13:55:30 -0800 (PST), Robert Hajime Lanning
<lanning+asterisk at monsoonwind.com> wrote:

> <quote who="C F">
>
> > Well, as far as I know there is no such service in the USA. Take in
> > mind that SMS is not so popular in the states, email is, and every
> > cell phone in the US that I have seen that supports SMS, supports SMS
> > to email from the phone as well.

> um, backwards.  E-Mail to SMS.  I have not seen the other way around.

Why not, just use the email address given before from you email
client. I have my asterisk box setup in voicemail.conf to send me
notifications to me cell phone using this method. I'm a Sprint
subscriber (I used to be Verizon, and it worked with them as well), so
I have * setup to send me an email to
my10digitmobilephonenumber at messaging.sprintpcs.com, letting me know
there is a new voicemail waiting for me, callerID of caller, and
duration and in which mailbox. I can then call back my * box and
listen to the messages, I like this better than the callback feature
b/c I can do it on my time.